Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write a careful account for you, most honorable Theophilus... of all that Yeshua began both to do and teach. (Luke 1:3, Acts 1:1)

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Series: Namesakes~Jacob, Rachel & Leah

Our names are more than just what we are called. They can reveal a lot about our character. When God gave names, or changed names, in Scripture, it signified that a change was about to take place in the lives of those whose names were changed. Do you have a Scripture-based name? Are you living up to the character of that name? Or, do you feel a name-change is in order?

Jacob

Supplanter

from aqab meaning heel-catcher; that is, a supplanter, which means taking the place of another through scheming, force, or strategy; to trip up or overthrow

Genesis 25:29-33

Jacob boiled stew. Esau came in from the field, and he was famished. Esau said to Jacob, "Please feed me with that same red stew, for I am famished." Therefore his name was called Edom. Jacob said, "First, sell me your birthright." Esau said, "Behold, I am about to die. What good is the birthright to me?" Jacob said, "Swear to me first." He swore to him. He sold his birthright to Jacob.

Genesis 27:35-37

He said, "Your brother came with deceit, and has taken away your blessing." He said, "Isn't he rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times. He took away my birthright. See, now he has taken away my blessing." He said, "Haven't you reserved a blessing for me?" Isaac answered Esau, "Behold, I have made him your lord, and all his brothers have I given to him for servants. With grain and new wine have I sustained him.

Rachel
Ewe
Hebrew Transliteration: Rahel
Hebrew: רָחֵל

Rahel: from an unused root  meaning to make, or go on, a journey; as female sheep are predominant in the flock, and are good travelers

Leah
Weary
Hebrew Transliteration: Leah
Hebrew: לֵאָה

Leah: from la’ah meaning weary

from a primitive root word meaning to tire, to grieve, to loathe, to faint, to be or make disgusted

Genesis 29:9-12,17

And while he yet spoke with them, Rachel came with her father's sheep; for she kept them. And it came to pass, when Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mother's brother, and the sheep of Laban his mother's brother, that Jacob went near, and rolled the stone from the well's mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mother's brother. And Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice, and wept. And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father's brother, and that he was Rebekah's son: and she ran and told her father.

Leah's eyes were weak, but Rachel was beautiful in form and attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment